This Spelt Zucchini and Lemon Cake is a beautiful, moist, dairy free cake with a fresh zing of lemon. And it is a wonderful way to get kids to eat their vegetables!
As far as vegetable cakes go it is hard to beat a good carrot cake, but I think this Spelt, Zucchini and Lemon Cake comes a close second.
When my husband and I were shopping the other weekend we came across a cafe that offered a wonderful looking spelt, zucchini and lemon cake for sale. Maybe I’m cheap, but when I saw that the price tag was almost $10 a slice I decided to head home and attempt to recreate my own, which I managed to do for well under for under $10. After a couple of attempts, which ended up being too moist, this beautiful cake is the end result.
I’ve used wholemeal spelt flour in this cake, but previous versions used white spelt flour. I think the cake is better with wholemeal spelt as it adds a slight nuttiness to the cake, and adds to its rustic charm.
While you could serve this cake naked, or with a dust of icing sugar, or even a cream cheese frosting if you can tolerate dairy (which I cant), I’ve opted for a glaze of icing sugar, a small amount of lemon zest and lemon juice. You could even slice the cake horizontally and add icing or frosting in the middle to fancy things up a bit. But for me this is the perfect afternoon tea cake to serve with a cup of tea.
I’d love to hear from you. Have you ever hestitated at high prices for a slice of cake at a cafe? And have you been tempted to go home to recreate your own cake for less than the price of a slice?
20 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 150g (5 1/4 oz) coconut oil
- 275g (11/4 cups) raw sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g zucchini, grated
- zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 300g (2 cups) wholemeal spelt four
- 60g (1/2 cup) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb (baking) soda
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and grease a 23cm (9 inch) cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Place the coconut oil, sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk to combine. Stir through the zucchini, lemon juice and zest. Place the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and ground almonds in a separate bowl and stir to combine. Add the dry mixture to the wet and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked. Remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze mix the icing sugar, lemon zest and juice until you have a pourable consistency. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake.