These sweet fragrant gluten free fritters are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Top with a generous dollop of dairy free lime cashew cream and a side salad, and dinner is sorted!
I love fritters. No matter how little you have in your fridge or pantry, no matter how tired you are a delicious meal isn’t far away.
These sweet potato fritters are a little fussier than I normally go for, but its the blend of kaffir lime, ginger and spices that make them so moreish. Make large ones for a hearty breakfast or lunch. Little ones are perfect for snacking on over a few drinks, topped with dollops of the lime cashew cream and a few coriander (cilantro) leaves.
If you are new to dairy free creams, cashew cream might sound a little odd. It certainly did to me when I discovered I was lactose intolerant and things like yoghurt and sour cream were no longer an option. But let me tell you they are a lot more delicious than they sound. In fact my fussy husband, who deplores things that are “different” loves this lime cashew cream and it disappears as quickly as I can make it.
Should you be lucky enough to be able to tolerate dairy I’d suggest adding some lime juice to a thick creamy Greek yoghurt, or even sour cream instead.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- LIME CASHEW CREAM:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup water
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 600g sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves and stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs buckwheat flour
- oil for frying
- Drain the soaking liquid from the cashews and place in a high-speed blender with the water, lime zest, juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Decant into a small jar or bottle and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Use a food processor or hand grater to grate the sweet potato. Place in a large bowl along with the ginger, cumin, coriander and salt. Remove the stem from the kaffir lime leaves and chop finely. Add to the sweet potato mixture.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the sweet potato mixture along with the buckwheat flour and mix until well combined.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil, and add spoonfuls of the mixture. Press down with a spatula and fry until the edges start to turn golden, around 3 minutes. Flip and fry until golden on the other side. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with your favourite salad leaves and a drizzle of the lime cashew cream.