This vegan salad is packed full of veggie goodness with raw zucchini noodles, tomato, mint and rocket (arugula) and spring onions. Toasted sunflower seeds sprinkled over the top add a deliciously nutty crunch.
I know, salads aren’t really a winter thing, but we had the most wonderful preview of spring weather here in Brisbane last weekend, that I just had to celebrate it with more weather appropriate fare. Out came my summer dresses (if only for a few days) along with this gorgeous, if messy looking salad.
Don’t get me wrong, I love winter comfort foods as much as anyone, however, after a while all that heavy food starts to make me feel weighed down, and not the happiest of campers. Salads, though, good wholesome salads, with a depth of flavour and a few things going on, make my heart sing, which is why I was all too ready to get my salad on when warmer weather struck.
The salad in question is a zucchini noodle salad. Springy raw zucchini noodles are tossed with a mix of tomatoes, spring onions, mint and watercress and spiked with a tart and tangy dressing of lemon juice, balsamic, white wine vinegar, garlic and extra virgin olive oil. I know it sounds like a lot of acid, but the combination of lemon, balsamic and white wine vinegar are what really makes this salad sing. The final flourish is a sprinkle of toasted sunflower seeds for a little nutty crunch.
So, if you’re ready to take a break from heavy winter fare these zucchini noodles make a great meal, and they would also make a wonderful side too.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow and red grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups rocket (arugula) leaves
- big handful of mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Spiralize the zucchini using a spiralizer . Transfer the noodles to a fine mesh sieve and sit the sieve over a bowl and sprinkle with the salt and toss to combine. Leave the noodles for 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze the noodles gently to remove any excess liquid and add to a large bowl.
- Add the roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, spring onions, mint and rocket (arugula) and toss well to combine.
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a jar and shaking to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat everything in the dressing. Sprinkle with toasted sunflower seeds and serve.
If making ahead of time, keep the rocket (arugula) and toasted sunflower seeds separate and add, along with the dressing, just before serving.