Enhance the flavor of raw pistachios by roasting them. In this post, I will share 7 ways to roast pistachios from classic salted pistachios to honey roasted to a spicy pistachio recipe. Learn new ways to create a healthy snack that is crunchy and satisfying!
I love pistachios! They are a delicious nut that are not only good for you but also tasty. Whether I am topping a salad, making homemade pistachio pesto, or roasting with my favorite seasonings, this nut is always within reach at my home!
These Roasted Pistachios are...
How to Make Roasted Pistachios
- Preheat your oven.
- Place pistachios in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil and seasoning to your preference.
- Roast for 10–12 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Once done, remove nuts and allow to cool.
For the honey roasted nuts, melt butter in the microwave first, and then drizzle over the nuts. All other flavors are drizzled with oil and seasoned.
Full directions for how to make Roasted Pistachios are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips & Tricks for Roasted Pistachios
Make sure the pistachios are in a single layer on the tray when roasting them. You don't want to cram nuts on a cookie sheet, or the nuts will roast unevenly.
Toss While Roasting
Toss the nuts a few times during the cooking process. This will make sure that all sides of the nuts get a nice roasted flavor.
Variations to Roasted Pistachios
If you don't want to use honey, you can use maple syrup or even agave instead. Any of these options will give your honey roasted nuts a sweet flavor.
Air Fry Pistachios
Instead of roasting your nuts in the oven, you can air fry them. To do this, layer the nuts in a single layer in the air fryer. Then follow the same directions as oven roasting. You will probably need to cook your nuts for a little less time, depending on how your air fryer heats.
Spices and Herbs
As you can see, there are multiple ways to flavor pistachios. Have fun, get creative, and try out different mixes to find the perfect blend for you!
Roasted Pistachio FAQs
How should I store leftover nuts?
Spread your roasted nuts out in a single layer on tray and let them cool for around an hour. Make sure your nuts are completely dry, then place them in an airtight container.
How long do these roasted pistachios last?
The nuts will last for 3-5 days once they are roasted. I recommend only making what you plan to eat, and then just roasting more later on.
Where can I find raw pistachios?
You can look for pistachios in the produce section or specialty area of your grocery store. I have found that our local stores have a nut section in the produce area that sells raw nuts.
Do raw pistachios taste good?
Raw pistachios can have a bit of a bitter flavor due to the tannin in the nuts. Some people really enjoy the flavor of raw pistachios while others prefer roasted.
If you love vegan cooking, make sure you grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet while you’re here. It’s packed with all my favorite plant-based substitutions to help you vegan-ize any recipe!
7 Ways to Roast Pistachios
Original Salted Pistachios:
- 1 tsp salt
Chili Roasted Pistachios:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread the pistachios on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- For Honey Roasted Pistachios only: Melt the butter in the microwave in a small, microwave safe bowl. Stir in the honey. Drizzle over the pistachios and toss to coat.
- For all other Flavors: Drizzle the pistachios with the olive oil and seasonings—for your flavor of choice!
- Roast 10–12 minutes, tossing occasionally, until toasted to your liking.
- If storing the nuts for later, spread them on a sheet of parchment paper. Allow them to dry and cool for at least one hour. Make sure they are completely dry, and then store in an airtight container for 3–5 days.