This amazing no churn ice cream - is creamy, divine and only uses 3 ingredients!
Caramelized White Chocolate is something I've been obsessed with for a while.
I was late to the caramelized white chocolate party. David Lebovitz first wrote about it in 2009, but nevertheless, I'm here and I've been having fun coming trying caramelized white chocolate in different creations.
One thing I'd been wanting to try for a while was a caramelized white chocolate ice cream, again. The thought of rich caramelised white chocolate in a smooth creamy ice cream sounded too good to be true.
And I think I may have actually created the best white chocolate ice cream ever!
Making White Chocolate Ice Cream
For the ice cream base, I've gone with a no churn variety, because I know many of you don't have ice cream machines. And because I'd been meaning to try making a no churn ice cream for some time.
So when I saw Nigella making her no churn coffee ice cream the deal was sealed.
After whisking the cream and condensed milk together, cooled caramelised white chocolate is folded through the mixture and poured into a freezer safe container.
The remaining caramelised white chocolate is then swirled through, using a tooth pick or skewer, to form a pretty caramel swirl effect on top.
And if the thought of caramelising white chocolate in the oven sounds scary, it isn't. In fact, it's really quite easy!
All you need is a bit of patience and time. Just ensure you use white chocolate that contains cocoa butter.
I used these White Chocolate Melts which contain 25% cocoa butter. Steer clear of white chocolates that contain vegetable fat otherwise you will end up with a grainy horrible mess.
After the chocolate initially melts you will find it quite stiff when it comes out of the oven. Stick with it.
Use a spatula to smoosh (technical term) and swirl the chocolate around the dish until it softens and takes on an almost glossy sheen.
If your chocolate mixture is a little grainy, again, don't fret. Simply pass it through a fine-mesh sieve and all will be well!
I even took some photos of the process of a batch I made recently, so you can see how it transforms. Check it out here.
More Ice Cream Recipes
And if you love this caramelized white chocolate ice cream, be sure to check out these other delicious homemade ice cream recipes:
Caramelised White Chocolate No Churn Ice Cream recipe
- 150 g white chocolate 5 oz
- 397 g tin of condensed milk 14 oz
- 600 ml double cream 2 ½ cups
- Begin by roasting the chocolate. Preheat the oven to 120 celsius (250 Fahrenheit) and add the chocolate into a small baking dish and place in the oven for 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until a deep caramel colour. The chocolate should be smooth and velvety. If it it's grainy press through a fine mesh sieve until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the cream and condensed milk together in a stand mixer until soft peaks form. Fold through half the white chocolate and mix well. Pour half the mixture into a rectangle ice cream container or loaf tin and add half of the remaining chocolate and use a skewer to swirl through the ice cream. Top with remaining ice cream and swirl in the remaining caramelised white chocolate. Cover with cling film and freeze for 6 hours or overnight before serving.