These adorable football cupcakes are the perfect treat for your next tailgate party. Rich vanilla cupcakes are topped with fun football themed decorations, made from Tootsie Rolls and vanilla frosting.
I just love football season!
Not because I’m really a huge football fan, but because I’m a huge fan of tailgate parties.
So this past weekend I decided to try my hand at a special treat – football cupcakes! And I have to say, they turned out pretty darn cute.
Plus, they were incredibly easy to make. And decorating the tootsie roll footballs makes for a fun family project.
Let’s Make Football Cupcakes!
You’ll start off by making a batch of simple vanilla cupcakes. The full recipe is below, and it’s one I’ve used tons of times.
When your cupcakes are ready, be sure to let them cool completely before starting on the football decorations.
Then comes the fun part!
We’re going to make the tops of these football cupcakes out of tootsie rolls. Because who doesn’t love tootsie rolls?
Place two tootsie rolls at a time on a paper plate, and microwave them for about 8 seconds.
While they are nice and pliable, roll them into a single ball.
Use a glass dish, or some other flat object, to flatten the ball into a thin pancake-like shape.
Place your flattened tootsie roll on top of one of your football cupcakes, like a little hat. Repeat this process for each cupcake.
When all of your cupcakes have their football top in place, use some vanilla frosting to draw the hash marks onto each football.
And there you have it – the cutest little football cupcakes I’ve ever seen. Wasn’t that easy?
More Football Party Recipes
Like I said, tailgates are kind of my thing. So I have quite a collection of football party worthy recipes on the site.
If you’re looking for some hearty finger foods for that buffet table, some of my favorites are:
And if your’e looking for some creative dips for your next football party, check out these:
- Baked Goat Cheese Dip with Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes
- Chickpea-Tomato Dip
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Dip
For Chocolate Cupcake Mix:
For Football Cupcake Decorations:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl – flour, sugar, cocoa powder, instant dry milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl – water, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Place cupcake liners in pans for 24 cupcakes. Fill each cup 2/3 full with cupcake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F), for 18-20 minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, generously frost each one with chocolate frosting.
- Open the Tootsie Rolls and discard the wrappers. Take 2 Tootsie Rolls at a time and place on a paper plate. Place in the microwave and heat for about 8 seconds. Remove from the microwave and gently roll into a ball.
- Use the bottom of the glass dish to gently press the Tootsie roll down into a flat circular shape.
- Place the flattened tootsie roll on top of a frosted cupcake. Repeat this process for each cupake.
- Once all the cupcakes have a Tootsie Roll top, attach the size 3 round frosting tip to the disposable piping bag and add a few scoops of white frosting. Gently squeeze the frosting out of the bag draw the hash marks on the footballs. Repeat with all cupcakes.