These gluten free savoury pea and mint pancakes are perfect for lazy weekend brunches.
I know, I know, I'm late for pancake day. Better late than never right?
To be honest, I had completely forgotten about pancake day until I looked at my Instagram feed last night and saw pancake after pancake.
So it is perhaps fortuitous then that I planned to share these Pea and Mint Pancakes with you today even though I had no idea pancake day was upon us.
These Pea and Mint Pancakes have become a bit of a Saturday brunch staple in our house.
While I prefer to use fresh peas, when I can get my hands on them, for these pancakes, frozen peas work just as well. If using frozen peas though I suggest baby peas if you can get them as they are sweeter.
Serve these pea pancakes with wedges of lemon, and mint leaves, parsley leaves and cucumber tossed in a lemon mustard dressing.
Pea and Mint Pancakes
- 300 g fresh peas or frozen baby peas
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 4 spring onions chopped
- 1 tbs heaped gluten free cornflour
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 extra large egg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- lemon wedges to serve
- Place a medium saucepan of water over a high heat and bring to a boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water and half a dozen ice cubes. Quickly blanch the peas in boiling water for a 10 to 20 seconds. Drain and place in the bowl of ice water. Leave to cool.
- Add all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the oil and add spoonfuls of the batter. Cook until the edges are lightly golden, about 1 to 2 minutes, and flip and cook for a further minute. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with a green salad, lemon wedges and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Thanks for this recipe! I've added it to the Farm Fresh Feasts Visual Recipe Index by Ingredient, a resource for folks who love to eat from the farm share.
I appreciate it!
They look amazing!!! I am loving fritters/waffles/pancakes at the moment so these are on the to try list!
Amber at The Beautiful Lens says
We are a gluten-free household and I think these sounds AMAZING! I may just have to sway my 11 year old now 😉
Pearl - Pretty Mayhem says
I guess I know what I'm making for brunch this weekend now - these pancakes look scrumptious! Mint and peas are a match made in heaven.
A Taste Of Madness says
These sound awesome! I love savory pancakes!
Hi Jennifer, I just found your blog, thanks to these green beauties...
Such a nice twist on a regular pancakes - now all I have to do, is to wait for my mint to grow 😉
Jennifer Schmidt says
Thank you for your lovely comment Jasmin 😀 I hope you enjoy them.
I had ordinary pancakes but yours are really cool. I love the pea and mint idea.
This look so good! xo
Such a lovely pancake alternative! I make little fritters that are similar to these but also have ricotta in - I love the combination of pea and mint.
Jennifer Schmidt says
Pea and ricotta sound lovely Kate. 🙂