This gloriously golden red lentil dal is the ultimate in comfort food. Fragrant, creamy and utterly delicious this simple dal recipe will be on the table in under 30 minutes!
Dal, daal, dhal or dahl, whatever you call it is one of my ultimate comfort foods.
It also seems to be one of those polarising foods.
Some people, like me, love dal for its comforting hug in a bowl qualities, while others deride its simplicity.
That and the fact that its made from lentils. But dal’s simplicity is the main part of its charm.
If you belong to the camp that believed dal was difficult to make at home, let me tell you it isn’t.
In fact, this red lentil dal is ready in under 30 minutes.
The other charming thing about making this simple red lentil dal recipe is the beautiful aromas that fill the air.
The earthiness of cumin, the slight citrus notes of coriander seeds and the sweetness of cinnamon begins the act of comforting you before you even take a bite.
We all know the health benefits of turmeric, and this dal is lovely and golden thanks to a generous helping of turmeric.
Some of the health benefits of turmeric include:
- it’s a powerful natural anti-inflammatory – when I suffered recent back pain instead of taking anti-inflammatory medication I took turmeric tablets which worked just as well.
- apparently, it helps ward off Alzheimer’s
- contains anticancer properties
- has a positive effect on cholesterol which also helps reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke
While naan is a fabulous accompaniment to this turmeric dal I like to make flatbreads as they are quick and don’t require time to rise.
I use this recipe here and slather it with garlic butter. Along with steamed basmati rice and fresh coriander (cilantro) and
Along with steamed basmati rice and fresh coriander (cilantro) and squeeze of lemon it’s the ultimate satisfying meal.
So tell me, do you like dal? What is your favourite version?This golden vegan 30-minute turmeric red lentil dal is packed with turmeric and totally delicious!Click To Tweet
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.
Want more delicious recipes?
Subscribe to the Delicious Everyday weekly newsletter. It’s FREE! As a subscriber bonus, I’ll also send you my guide to pantry essentials for delicious everyday meals.
For this recipe you’ll need:
Red Lentil Dal
A wonderfully fragrant dal spiked with turmeric and spices.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbs grated ginger
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbs coriander (cilantro) roots and stalks finely chopped
- 6 leaves curry
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- Place a large pot over your smallest burner set to a medium heat. Add the olive oil (you can also use coconut oil or ghee) and the onions, ginger, chilli, tomato and coriander roots. Add a couple of pinches of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are sweet and golden, around 5 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the rest of the spices and garlic. Cook until fragrant. Add the lentils, stock and coconut milk and when it starts bubbling reduce the heat to low.
Let the dal bubble away for 20 minutes or so or until the lentils collapse and the dal becomes beautifully creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary and add a squeeze of lemon.