These Smoked Sea Salt Flourless Chocolate Cookies are intensely chocolatey and gluten free and are sure to cure whatever ails you.
Ugh. I’ve been sick. Again. A few weeks after recovering from the cold I managed to get the flu.
The last few days have been spent huddled under layers of blankets, unable to get warm enough, until suddenly I’m too hot and have to cast everything aside in a desperate effort to cool down before the cycle starts again. My husband, Troy, ordered me to rest and relax, but after a day of watching tv and reading – I just finished the [amazon_link id=”0345534093″ target=”_blank” ]The Boleyn King[/amazon_link] trilogy, which started well, but ended disappointingly, and am re-reading [amazon_link id=”042526842X” target=”_blank” ]The Other Typist[/amazon_link], which I loved – I felt I’d go out of my mind if I rested any longer. So, as you do when you have a fever, I decided to bake bread and make a big pot of this fennel soup, swapping out the risoni for rice.
While soup and cups of tea have been my diet of the last few days I thought I’d share a chocolate recipe with you. And not just a chocolate recipe, but a recipe for Smoked Sea Salt Flourless Chocolate Cookies. Chocolate cures all evils and illnesses. At least I’d like to think so.
These Smoked Sea Salt Flourless Chocolate Cookies are intensely chocolatey, packed with melted dark chocolate, cocoa and dark chocolate chunks and are sure to cure whatever ails you. The smoked sea salt cuts through the richness and really amplifies the chocolate flavour, while the smokey element elevates these flourless chocolate cookies to another level altogether.
Flourless Smoked Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 200 g [amazon_link id="B00GDIMCPY" target="_blank" ]dark chocolate[/amazon_link] roughly chopped or dark chocolate chips, 7 oz
- 60 g butter 1/4 cup
- 2 large eggs
- 60 g brown sugar 1/3 cup
- 65 g white sugar 1/3 cup
- 40 g [amazon_link id="B000GUOA8W" target="_blank" ]cocoa[/amazon_link] 1/3 cup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp [amazon_link id="B0019S6GLE" target="_blank" ]Smoked Sea Salt[/amazon_link] plus extra for sprinkling
- 200 g [amazon_link id="B000LKV7Q0" target="_blank" ]70% cocoa chocolate[/amazon_link] chopped, 7 oz
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius (340 Fahrenheit). Place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and melt the chocolate and butter. Stir to combine and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the eggs and sugars to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until thick, light and creamy. The mixture should form thick creamy ribbons.
- Fold in the melted chocolate and butter mixture. Sift in the cocoa and baking soda and fold through the batter before adding the chopped chocolate.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto a [amazon_link id="B000G0KJG4" target="_blank" ]baking sheet[/amazon_link] lined with [amazon_link id="B006JCWGIC" target="_blank" ]baking paper[/amazon_link] and bake for 8 minutes. Leave on the tray to a few minutes to firm up before transferring to a [amazon_link id="B00091PNTI" target="_blank" ]wire rack[/amazon_link] to cool completely.