I've got a bit of a thing lately for roasting fruits. I love how it intensifies the sweetness of the fruit and adds a whole new depth of flavor.
I've made roasted strawberry and white chocolate cheesecake and more recently roasted fig ice cream.
For my latest roasted fruit foray I decided to try roasting pineapple with spices to make a Spice Roasted Pineapple Ice Cream.
Making Pineapple Ice Cream
The pineapple was peeled and cut into bite size pieces and roasted with cinnamon, star anise and cloves.
To this I added a little bit of Tequila. I know rum and pineapple work well together, but I decided to use Tequila instead because I wanted that slightly smokey flavor from the aged Tequila.
If you want to make this ice cream sans Tequila, by all means do so, and it will still taste great. But the Tequila, even in a small quantity, adds something to the overall taste of the roasted pineapple.
The resulting pineapple ice cream is absolutely heavenly with the sweetness of the pineapple, aromatic spices, and the creaminess of the ice cream.
More Ice Cream Recipes
If you love this roasted pineapple ice cream, be sure to check out these other incredible ice cream recipes:
Spice Roasted Pineapple Ice Cream
- 1 pieces pineapple peeled and chopped into bite size
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Tequila
- 2 cups of full cream milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220 Celsius (425 Fahrenheit) and line a roasting pan with baking paper. Toss the pineapple, sugar spices and Tequila in a bowl and mix to combine. Pour into the baking tray and roast for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the milk and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the vanilla bean and seeds and cover with a lid and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Return the milk and cream to the heat and bring to the boil again. While you are doing this combine the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until combined and lightly thickened.
- When the milk and cream has returned to the boil pour ⅓ of the mixture into the egg yolk mixture while the whisk is running at a low speed. This will temper the mixture to ensure that it doesn’t curdle. Then slowly pour the remaining milk and cream mixture into the mixing bowl with the whisk going all the while.
- Pour the combined custard mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat. Stir the mixture and check the custard by turning the back of the spoon and running your finger through the custard on the spoon and if the line stays clean and doesn’t run back into the line you’ve created then the custard is done.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl and discard the vanilla bean. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. The custard mixture should be completely cold before churning.
- Turn on your ice cream machine and carefully pour the mixture into the churn according to the manufacturers instructions.
- While the ice cream is churning place ¾ of the roasted pineapple into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and puree.
- When the ice cream is almost done slowly add the pineapple as the ice cream continues to churn. This will ensure that the fruit is evenly distributed through the ice cream.
- When the ice cream is done pack into a large container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
Jack Smith says
Yum! I love pineapple but I have never even thought of making pineapple icecream. What a great idea!
Thanks - it's one of my favorite recipes!
I made this last night and it was a big hit! Delicious! I didn't have cinnamon sticks or anise, so I used 3 Tbs. ground cinnamon and 1 1/2 tsp. anise extract. A bit labor intensive, but would definitely make it again!
I'm so glad you enjoyed my Spice Roasted Pineapple Ice Cream. It's one of my favourites, and you're right, it is a bit labour intensive, but it's worth it. 😀 Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback. Have a great Easter! 😀
Pineapples are on sale here for 99 cents....will be picking one up on the way home from work and making this....prep work tonight, churning tomorrow....I'll check back and let you know what we (hubby and I) thought. We love good custard style ice cream!
Mama's Lebanese Kitchen says
Such a wild recipe. I've never tried "spicy" ice-cream so to speak.. cloves, cinnamon wow! I know it's almost winter now but this is definitely worth the try, thank you so much for sharing 🙂
You're welcome 😀
Janette Ruston says
This looks fabulous ! Going to try it tomorrow, I think the kids will love it ! Thank you
nice recipe and i love ice cream!!!
Oh my gosh! I love grilling pineapple and lime! This sounds divine! Considering I just recently got an ice cream machine (and am giving one away too) I will be trying this flavour out in the coming months!
If you decide to make it Martyna please do let me know what you think 😀
Ellie | Gourmand Recipes says
Roasted fruits! Love the idea. The process will definitely enhance the tovar.
I just voted - looks fantastic 🙂
Thank you so much Mardi 😀
Baker Street says
Absolutely love the combination of flavors! And gorgeous gorgeous clicks!
a spoonful of yumm says
love the addition of alcohol in it. the ice cream looks exquisite ! 😉
Yes I agree roasting fruit really brings out the sugars. A nice recipe , good luck
Thank you Tania! 😀
Sounds lovely and beautifully presented always!
hi, the ice cream looks so refreshing and soothing. Great photography.
Tequila? Why not 😉 I dont have pineapple too often but when I do Im reminded how much I love it. I've voted 🙂 goodluck lovely!
Thank you so much Nic 😀 I don't have pineapple too much either, but when I do have it I wonder why I don't have it more often as it's just so delicious.
I've never tried pineapple ice cream before, but I can imagine that combination of pineapple and ice cream flavors! Looks and sounds very delicious.
What an exquisite ice cream!
Thank you so much El 😀
Tori (@eat-tori) says
Oh my word- this looks fantastic. And I love the pairing of tequila with pineapple. One of my favourite meals involves margaritas and pulled pork tacos with pineapple jalapeno salsa...
Love love the recipe. I think I'm going to try it sometime soon before extreme winter walks in!
Thanks Kulsum 😀 If you do try it let me know what you think 🙂
You do have a way with ice cream. This is definitely a tasty adult tropical one-love the flavor and the addition of tequila. Well done!
Thank you Tina 😀
will u believe this when i say I don't like ice cream ! I know I am a weird 🙂
But i tell you .. i love the flavor mix you did there !
I love pineapple and I adore your photos! Stunning! :)))
Awww thanks Nadia. You are So sweet 😀
Hotly Spiced says
I have never roasted a pineapple but am now inspired. That icecream sounds absolutely delicious and looks very inviting.
Steve @ the black peppercorn says
wow - this looks incredible. Excellent pictures. Really well done and the ice cream looks amazing! mmmmm
Thank you Steve 😀