When you are vegetarian it can often be difficult to buy a good curry paste that does not contain shrimp paste or other seafood products. Don't let that put you off though, as making your own curry paste is so easy and the end result is a delicious curry paste where you have complete control over the flavours and overall spiciness. If you like your food hot you can add more chilli or if you don't have an asbestos mouth you can reduce the chilli levels.
Once you've made your curry paste you can use it to make a curry, marinade meat or seafood, it can be used in stir fries with rice and noodles, or in curry puffs which is what I made it for. I'll post the curry puffs later in the week.
Thai green curry paste is an extremely useful staple to have on hand and once made it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Do you make your own curry paste?
Thai Green Curry Paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 lemongrass stems chopped
- 1 tbs of freshly ground ginger
- 6 coriander roots with stalks attached
- 2 long green chillis note i used one green and one red
- 6 leaves kaffir lime with the spine of the leaf removed
- 2 shallots roughly chopped
- 1 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp of white peppercorns
- ¼ tsp of ground turmeric
- ½ tsp of salt
- grated zest of ½ a lime
- juice of half a lime
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and toast the coriander seeds, cumin and peppercorns until fragrant. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor, along with the toasted spices, and blitz until it forms a paste.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Thai dishes are amazing I like the Thai food has a low fat and calorie it best for the every one.You share one of the thai recipe is really wonderful I like this dish.
Oh wow - very impressive! looking fw to the curry puff recipe too!
My recent post Todays Groupon! What a Steal
I love green curry and thanks for sharing this recipe.
I love that you shared this recipe coz I m not a fan of shrimp paste either even though I am a non vegetarian.I never use store bough pastes so this is really a quick fix of me.