Whip up this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup and watch your family do a happy dance! It’s a plant based version of a classic recipe - with rich and creamy flavors, and all the cheesiness you can handle.
I have visited Panera so many times watching tons of people load up on Panera's broccoli and cheese soup. I mean, I don’t blame them - it looks delicious.
However, Panera's broccoli cheese soup isn’t vegan, and I seriously needed a vegan version. So, I came up with this recipe and I think you’re going to be head over heels for it just like I am.
It takes very little time to make, including the chopping of vegetables and simmering. I think that’s my favorite thing about this dish (and my Vegan Tomato Soup). These recipes seem like they would take longer to make because they come across as fancy meals.
However, I assure you - this soup recipe is quite easy to tackle and don’t take any hard-to-find ingredients or crazy steps.
While you're here here, don't forget to join my free 5-Day Challenge! Get a five day vegetarian meal plan with shopping list, and more fun freebies.
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Prep the broccoli - Boil the broccoli until softened and pulse in a food processor only 2–3 quick times for a light chop.
- Start the soup - In a pot, melt the butter and saute the onions, followed by the garlic. Add the broth and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finish the soup - Add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Serve - Salt and pepper to your liking, garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage - Store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also store this in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer baggie for up to 2 months.
- Reheating - Reheat using a saucepan over the stove or the microwave.
- Use other cheeses - There are a ton of vegan cheese options out there. The traditional flavor for this broccoli soup calls for a cheddar variety. However, you can experiment with other shredded cheese substitutes as well. A Mexican blend has always been a favorite around my house! I've had good luck with the Daiya and Follow Your Heart brands for maximum meltability.
- Use frozen broccoli - If you have some frozen broccoli and not fresh, that’s no problem. You can definitely use frozen in place of fresh broccoli. However, it may be a bit mushier in texture than the fresh kind.
- Use any type of onion - You don’t have to stick with any one type of onion for this soup. Any kind of onion will work just fine, so use what you have on hand.
- Add potatoes or carrots - You can even add extra veggies like potatoes or carrots if you like. Just be sure to add them at the beginning with the broccoli. You may need to put the potatoes in first if you didn’t cut them small enough as they will need longer to soften up.
- Add a dollop of cashew cream - A splash of cashew cream in the top of the bowl when serving makes for a delicious addition. Not only does it look pretty, but it cools it down a bit and makes it even creamier.
- Garnish ideas - You can top your soup with some vegan crackers, breadcrumbs, chunks of broccoli, or fresh herbs. Of course, there are plenty of other topping options you can go with. I like to use vegan croutons the most.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup FAQs
Is There Meat in Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
There is not one ounce of meat in broccoli cheddar soup. This vegan broccoli cheddar cheese soup is completely void of any animal products, including milk or dairy in general.
If you would like to add more substance to your soup, you can always add beans, carrots, more broccoli, potatoes, etc.
What Can I Pair with Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
As with any soup, broccoli cheddar soup pairs well with breads, salads, and veggies.
Some of my favorite go-to recipes are Vegan Zucchini Fritters, Cucumber Tomato Salad, One-Bowl Vegan Cornbread, or this Loaded Sweet Potato With Spicy Black Beans and Cashew-Lime Cream. Any side dish similar to these would be a perfect choice!
If you decided to give this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup a try, please let me know in the comments below or on social media!
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like:
If you love this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup, be sure to check out these other delicious vegan soup recipes:
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 2 Cups Vegan Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 ½ Cups Vegetable Broth
- 8 Ounces Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- ¼ Large Onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Butter or Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small pot, boil the broccoli florets until softened. Drain and pulse 2-3 times in a food processor. You still want some chunks, so don’t over process.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter and saute the onions for 2–3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the broth and coconut milk. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan cheese to the pot and stir until thoroughly melted. Let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and stir thoroughly, letting it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to your liking, serve, and enjoy!
Hands down, the best broccoli and cheese soup I have ever had! Added potatoes and man, that was good! Making it again tomorrow night, in fact, because my husband requested it!