Whip up this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup and watch your family do a happy dance. It’s a classic recipe with rich and creamy flavors, along with all the cheese you can handle. This dish is quick, easy, and cruelty-free, making it a great choice for any night of the week.
I have visited Starbucks numerous times just to watch tons of people buy Starbucks' broccoli and cheese soup. I mean, I don’t blame them—it looks delicious. However, Starbucks’ broccoli cheese soup isn’t vegan, and I seriously needed a vegan version. So, I came up with this recipe and I think you’re going to be head over heels for it just like I am.
It takes very little time to make, including the chopping of vegetables and simmering. I think that’s my favorite thing about this dish (and my Vegan Pesto Pasta or Vegan Tomato Soup). These recipes seem like they would take longer to make because they come across as fancy meals. However, I assure you—they’re quite easy to tackle and don’t take any hard-to-find ingredients or crazy steps.
And for more delicious recipes, don't forget to grab a free copy of my Top 15 Reader-Favorite Recipes before you go!
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Prep the broccoli - Boil the broccoli until softened and pulse in a food processor only 2–3 quick times for a light chop.
- Start the soup - In a pot, melt the butter and saute the onions, followed by the garlic. Add the broth and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finish the soup - Add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Serve - Salt and pepper to your liking, garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage - Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also store this in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer baggie for up to 2 months.
- Reheating - Reheat using a saucepan over the stove or the microwave.
- Use other cheeses - There are a ton of vegan cheese options out there. The traditional flavor for this broccoli soup is a cheddar replacement. However, you can experiment with other shredded cheese substitutes as well. A Mexican blend has always been a favorite around my house.
- Use frozen broccoli - If you have some frozen broccoli and not fresh, that’s no problem. You can definitely use frozen in place of fresh broccoli. However, it may be mushier and fall apart more than the fresh kind.
- Use any type of onion - You don’t have to stick with any one type of onion for this soup. Any kind of onion will work just fine, so use what you have on hand.
- Add potatoes or carrots - You can even add both of these if you like. Just be sure to add them at the beginning with the broccoli. You may need to put the potatoes in first if you didn’t cut them small enough as they will need longer to soften up.
- Add a dollop of cashew cream - A splash of cashew cream in the top of the bowl when serving makes for a delicious addition. Not only does it look pretty, but it cools it down a bit and makes it even creamier.
- Garnish ideas - You can top your soup with some vegan crackers, breadcrumbs, chunks of broccoli, or fresh herbs. Of course, there are plenty of other topping options you can go with. I like to use vegan croutons the most.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup FAQs
Is There Meat in Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
There is not one ounce of meat in broccoli cheddar soup. However, I have seen people add meat to theirs for more protein. This vegan broccoli cheddar cheese soup is completely void of any animal products, including milk or dairy in general. If you would like to add more substance to your soup, you can always add beans, carrots, more broccoli, potatoes, etc.
What Can I Pair with Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
As with any soup, broccoli cheddar soup pairs well with breads, salads, and veggies. Some of my favorite go-to sides are Vegan Zucchini Fritters, Cucumber Tomato Salad, One-Bowl Vegan Cornbread, or this Loaded Sweet Potato With Spicy Black Beans and Cashew-Lime Cream. Any side dish similar to these would be a perfect choice!
If you decided to give this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup a try, please let me know in the comments below or on social media!
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan White Bean Soup With Kale
- Vegan French Onion Soup
- Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Hazelnut Dukkah
- Lemon, Orzo and Fennel Soup
- Ginger Garlic Soup
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- In a small pot, boil the broccoli florets until softened. Drain and pulse 2-3 times in a food processor. You still want some chunks, so don’t over process.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter and saute the onions for 2–3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the broth and coconut milk. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan cheese to the pot and stir until thoroughly melted. Let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and stir thoroughly, letting it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to your liking, serve, and enjoy!