These vegan soup dumplings are a completely plant-based version of the classic chicken and dumplings. Homemade vegan dumplings are cooked in a flavorful mushroom broth, and sprinkled with fresh herbs. This recipe is 100% vegan and vegetarian friendly!
Who doesn't love a big, piping hot bowl of soup on a chilly night? It's one of life's little pleasures.
Lately, I've been experimenting with all kinds of delicious vegan soups. And so I couldn't resist vegan-izing the classic chicken and dumplings.
No one will miss the meat in this vegetarian version, because it's packed with so much hearty flavor from the savory mushroom broth and fresh herbs.
It's an easy vegan dinner recipe that's perfect for weeknight cooking!
In fact, these dumplings are so good, that I've included them in my brand new cookbook - Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking.
Have you heard about this, yet? It's a 100% vegan cookbook, packed with 75 one-pot vegan recipes.
Yep. Every single dish can be prepared in a single pot or pan - making both cooking and cleanup a breeze. I don't know about you, but I'm always on board with less dishes.
Check out the Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cookbook for more easy vegan recipe ideas that are perfect for busy weeknights.
Tips for Perfect Vegan Dumplings
Use a large, slotted spoon to turn the dumplings over during cooking. It will be so much less messy since you won't be accidentally scooping the broth as you work.
I used dried shiitake mushrooms for this recipe, but you can experiment with any variety you prefer. Porcini mushrooms would be a great choice also.
Make this recipe gluten-free, by substituting gluten-free baking flour for the all purpose flour in the dumplings.
Use any plant-based milk you like for the vegan dumpling batter. I prefer almond milk, but soy or oat milk would work fine too.
For more tips on vegan-izing your favorite recipes, be sure to grab a copy of my free vegan substitution cheat sheet! It's packed with lots of handy swaps to turn any recipe vegan.
And don't forget to check out the brand new Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cookbook for more easy and delicious plant-based recipe ideas.
One-Pot Vegan Dumpling Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 1½ tsp fresh thyme chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 oz dried shiitake mushrooms or your favorite variety
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the thyme, salt and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth, dried mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- To make the dumplings, combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, baking powder, olive oil and almond milk in a mixing bowl. Mix it together to form a loose batter.
- Turn up the heat on the broth and allow the mixture to come to a bubble.
- Roll the dumplings into large balls, roughly 1½ inches (3.5 cm), and add them to the broth. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning the dumplings over halfway through the cooking time to ensure both sides get cooked evenly.
- Remove the bay leaf, and serve sprinkled with parsley.
Oh my god - this was amazing!