This Vegan French Onion Soup is comfort food at its finest. Tender onions are simmered in a savory broth, topped with cheesy toast, and baked to perfection.
This Vegan French Onion Soup is a sneak-peek recipe from my brand new cookbook, Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking. Be sure to check it out for more easy vegan recipes!
I've always loved French Onion Soup. It was one of my very favorite foods as a kid.
And it was one of the first things that I really missed when moving to a more plant-based diet.
Traditional French Onion Soup is made with beef broth and topped with cheese.
So I set out to make this Vegan French Onion Soup. My version uses a vegetable stock, infused with savory flavor from balsamic vinegar.
It gives that rich, deep flavor that French Onion soup is known for, but it's completely plant-based.
And of course, we can't miss out on the ooey, gooey, melted cheese topping!
I used a slice of fresh baguette and topped it off with dairy-free cheese. Be sure to choose a brand that melts well for the best result.
And the best part about this easy vegan soup - it cooks up in a single pot! So it's easy to cook, and easy to clean up too. What's not to love about that?
If you're into the idea of one-pot cooking, be sure to check out my new cookbook. It's called Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking, and it's packed with 75 easy vegan recipes that can all be cooked in a single pot!
Tips for Perfect Vegan French Onion Soup
- Slicing all those onions can wreak havoc on your eyes! A little trick? Chew a stick of peppermint gum while you slice. I swear it works.
- Be sure to use a vegan cheese that melts well for the best cheesy topping. I really like Daiya, Follow Your Heart, and So Delicious brands for good melting!
- Make some extra cheesy toasts on a baking sheet to serve alongside the soup. I've found that I always want extra for more dipping in my soup.
- Grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet for more tips on how to vegan-ize all your favorite recipes.
And be sure to check out my new cookbook, Weeknight One Pot Vegan Cooking featuring this recipe and 75 more easy vegan recipes that can be cooked up in a single pot or pan!
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1½ cups white wine such as Chardonnay
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 slices baguette
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4).
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook slowly for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until they are lightly caramelized. Add the garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until slightly reduced. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir. Remove the bay leaves. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon the soup into four ovenproof serving dishes. Top each bowl with a slice of baguette, and sprinkle with ¼ cup (30 g) of the vegan cheese shreds. Place the bowls in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, until the vegan cheese is melted and the baguette is slightly toasted.
Love! French onion soup was always my fave, and I haven't had it since going veggie. This was soooooo good.