These vegan scalloped potatoes are so rich and creamy, no one would ever guess they're dairy free!
Scalloped potatoes have always been one of my favorite holiday side dishes. And while the traditional version is vegetarian friendly - I wanted to create a completely vegan version this year.
These vegan scalloped potatoes are deliciously cheesy and perfectly cream thanks to some key ingredients like coconut cream and nutritional yeast.
It's perfect for serving up at your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner - but simple enough to make on a weeknight too!
If you're here planning a meatless holiday menu, be sure to check out our new Vegan Thanksgiving and Vegan Christmas Cookbooks too!
All of the ingredients for this recipes are pretty simple, and you'll probably have most in your pantry already!
- Potatoes. - Obviously! I used regular white potatoes, but this works with any variety.
- All purpose flour. - You can use a gluten free flour if you prefer.
- Almond milk. - Or other non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Coconut Cream. - This is different from coconut milk! You want this one.
- Nutritional Yeast. I like this brand.
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Fresh parsley, for garnishing.
See recipe card below for measurements and detailed instructions.
Equipment You'll Need
There's not much special equipment needed for this recipe. But here are a few helpful items:
Mandoline Slicer. This is optional, but a mandoline is the easiest way to get those perfectly thin slices!
9" x 13" Baking Dish. A glass baking dish will work best. I really love this one that comes with a lid, which makes it easy to take the dish along to parties or store leftovers.
Aluminum Foil. For covering the scalloped potatoes while they bake.
How to Make Vegan Scalloped Potatoes - Step by Step
These creamy vegan scalloped potatoes look and taste like they took all day to make - but they come together in under an hour!
Cook the vegan cheese sauce on the stovetop. It's nice and creamy thanks to coconut cream, almond milk, and nutritional yeast. Yum!
Slice the potatoes and layer them in a 9" x 13" baking pan.
Pour the creamy sauce over the potatoes and gently fold them together.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
And there you have it! Deliciously creamy vegan scalloped potatoes - ready in under an hour. What's not to love?
Hint: If you want the absolute easiest way to slice the potatoes into perfectly even thin slices - use a mandoline!
Swap the potatoes! You can make this recipe with sweet potatoes or butternut squash in place of the white potatoes for a fun variation.
Add fresh greens. For a healthy addition, add some fresh greens such as chopped fresh spinach or kale. Sauté them lightly and then add to the sauce before mixing into the potatoes.
Add pesto! Add ⅓ cup of vegan pesto to the creamy sauce for a flavorful twist on the traditional recipe.
Make it gluten free. This recipe is gluten free when made with a gluten free flour.
Store leftover scalloped potatoes for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, in an airtight container. Be sure to cool them to room temperature before placing in the fridge.
I don't recommend freezing these vegan scalloped potatoes. The creamy sauce loses it's texture when frozen.
Yes. Although, they are best served fresh, you can make them up to 48 hours in advance. Prepare the recipe all the way through, including baking. Then allow the potatoes to cool, cover, and refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat in the oven for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.
Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes tend to work best, although you can use any potatoes of your choice.
Traditionally potatoes au gratin have a crunchy topping made from cheese and breadcrumbs, while scalloped potatoes are simply cooked in a creamy sauce.
It's best to cook them covered for the majority of the cooking time. This will help them cook faster and keep the potatoes from drying out. Remove the cover for the final ⅓ of the cooking time to allow the top of the casserole to brown.
More Vegan Potato Recipes
If you love these vegan scalloped potatoes be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 lbs white potatoes peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- mandoline slicer optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F, place the prepared potatoes into a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside
- In a small pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until completely combined, then allow to cook 4-5 minutes
- Slowly add the almond milk, whisking constantly , followed by the coconut cream, nutritional yeast, salt, thyme and pepper
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened
- Pour mixture over the potatoes, gently stir to make sure all the potatoes are covered with sauce, then bake in preheated oven 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and sauce is bubbling
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving
What Do You Think?