This vegetarian pumpkin chili is the ultimate Fall comfort food. It's packed with flavor from pumpkin, adobo chilis, and fresh veggies. And the best part is that it cooks up in the slow cooker while you are at work, so you can come home to hot dinner on a chilly evening.
I recently created this recipe as the main dish for a full vegetarian wine dinner.
The menu featured this vegetarian (or vegan) pumpkin chili, tasty pumpkin and feta tartlets, and a decadent chocolate banoffee pudding for dessert.
Each course has a wine recommendation for a perfect pairing. Check out the full dinner menu with wine pairings for your next celebration!
How to Make Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
I couldn't believe how easy it was to make this vegetarian pumpkin chili! I literally threw it together in about 15 minutes, on my way out the door to work for the day. I set a timer on my slow cooker, and had a hot meal ready as soon as I walked in the door that evening.
I am all about delicious meatless meals that are easy to get on the table during the week! (Hence, why I've written an entire cookbook on Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Meals.)
To start with, I quickly sauteed some fresh red bell peppers and onions in a little bit of olive oil.
Then, I prepped the slow cooker. I love to use these slow cooker liners - they are like giant plastic baggies that line the inside of the slow cooker. When you're done cooking, you just lift it out and throw the whole thing away. No scrubbing the slow cooker!
Next, I simply added my canned pumpkin to the slow cooker. Make sure you get the unsweetened kind - not the one with sugar added. The ingredient label should just list "pumpkin" and nothing else!
I mixed in some canned tomatoes, black beans, and one half can of chilis in adobo sauce. The chilis are really the secret ingredient to this whole thing. They add an amazing smoky flavor.
But watch out - they also add a lot of spice! If you like your chili more mild, you can reduce the quantity.
I added a little bit of salt and pepper, and a pinch of smoked paprika. And that's it! Just set the timer on your slow cooker so that it cooks on high for about 4 hours before you get home, and you will be treated to the smell of hot vegetarian pumpkin chili when you walk in the door!
Top the chili with a bit of crumbled goat cheese for creamy deliciousness. Or leave that off for a completely vegan pumpkin chili.
More Chili Recipes
If you're a chili-lover like me, be sure to check out these delicious chili recipes:
- Mushroom & Black Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- 17+ Amazing Vegan Chili Recipes
- Best Vegetarian Pumpkin Recipes
Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
- 30 oz pumpkin canned
- 29 oz tomatoes canned, chopped
- 30 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 oz chili in adobo sauce
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow onion small, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup goat cheese crumbled, optional
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat, in a large pan. Add bell pepper and onion, and cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- In the slow cooker, combine the pumpkin, tomatoes, black beans, and chili in adobo sauce.
- Add the veggies to the slow cooker, and mix together.
- Add the smoked paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Serve topped with the crumbled goat cheese, if desired. Leave out the goat cheese for a totally vegan dinner!
What Do You Think?