This decadent Vegan Birthday Cake is perfect for any special occassion. Made with ingredients you can find in your pantry, this dessert is easy and simple. Finish it off with a homemade vegan buttercream frosting, and you have one perfect treat.
I am a lover of all things cake and vegan desserts in general. There’s just something about that perfectly soft center paired with that super sweet frosting that hits the spot.
Don’t ask me to tell you my favorite cake of all time though. That’s an impossible question that I would never be able to answer.
I enjoy whipping up one of these Vegan Birthday Cakes for all kinds of parties. They’re especially nice for girl’s night, a family gathering… or just because you want cake.
It’s also super easy to customize this cake to fit any event or occasion. You can make the frosting whatever color you need and decorate the cake itself with any fun topping you can think of.
It’s nice to have one base vegan cake recipe that you can use a blank slate!
If you love vegan baking, make sure you grab a copy of my free vegan baking cheat sheet while you’re here. It’s packed with all my favorite plant-based substitutions to help you vegan-ize any recipe!
How to Make Vegan Birthday Cake
- Prep – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 6-inch round cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar – In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar. Cream together well. Add in the applesauce and vanilla and mix well again.
- Mix the dry ingredients – In a separate large bowl, thoroughly mix together the salt, flour, and baking soda. Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- Finish the batter – Using a hand mixer, thoroughly mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Bake – Soak two baking strips in water and cinch them tightly around the outside of each prepared pan. Equally divide the batter between the two pans. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes or until a butter knife comes out clean.
- Make the frosting – While the cake is cooling, use a hand mixer to beat the butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add in the rest of the ingredients except 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat together. You’ll need to switch to a fork or spatula to finish mixing the ingredients into a frosting consistency. Once it’s soft, add in the last cup of powdered sugar and continue to use the fork to finish mixing the frosting.
- Frost the cake – Place one cake on a cake board and place frosting on the top of it. Add the next cake layer on top, then frost the entire cake. Add sprinkles on the top and up the sides if desired.
- Serve and enjoy – Allow the frosting time to crust up a bit, then slice, serve, and enjoy!
Scroll down for the detailed directions, including measurements.
Tips and Variations
Storage – Cover the cake in plastic and leave on the cake board to store either in the fridge or freezer. For the fridge, it will last 2 weeks. In the freezer, 3 months. Store in a cake keeper in a cool, dry place if not using the fridge or freezer.
Reheating – Do not reheat the cake once it’s been cooled. Simply let it come to room temperature on its own, if being served from the fridge or freezer. If it’s heated again, it will melt the frosting and make a mess. (Trust me.)
Make the frosting different colors – It’s super easy to make the frosting on this Vegan Birthday Cake a different color. Simply use a gel food color of your choosing and add in a bit at a time. Mix in between, and keep adding a bit at a time until the desired color is reached.
Use a frosting smoother – If you want to get your frosting smoother and nicer, invest in a frosting smoother. It’s a little tool you use to get the icing nice and even. They’re usually $10 or less and worth every penny when it comes to frosting a cake.
How do I apply the sprinkles? – The easiest way to apply the sprinkles is simply to put some in your hand and press it up the sides. Yes, sprinkles will pretty much get everywhere, but that’s part of the fun. Be sure to put the sprinkles on right after you frost the cake, before the frosting dries, or they won’t stick. (If you’re looking for vegan sprinkles – check these out!)
FAQs About Vegan Birthday Cakes
Why is My Vegan Cake Rubbery?
If your vegan cake is rubbery, it could be one of two things. One, you undermixed the ingredients causing them to not set up right when cooking. Two, you used ingredients that were too cold. Strangely enough, the outcome of your recipe can even be affected by the temperature of your ingredients during mixing. Be sure to use room temperature ingredients and mix them well. Use a hand mixer if necessary.
Let me know in the comments below if you loved this Vegan Birthday Cake as much as we did!
More Vegan Cake Recipes
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
Vegan Birthday Cake
Make the Vegan Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 6-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the applesauce and vanilla, mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Add in the milk and vinegar. Mix well again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a hand mixer to combine them.
- Soak two baking strips in water for a minute or two, then shake free of excess water and place around the cake pans. Place on a baking sheet, then divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Spread batter evenly and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set the cakes aside to cool and begin the frosting.
Make the Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, vanilla, and milk. Add the powdered sugar in a cup at a time and mix it thoroughly into the batter.
- Hand mix the frosting on the last cup of powdered sugar.
Assemble the Cake
- Once the cakes are completely cool, remove the first one from the pan, set it on a cake board, and put a thick layer of frosting on the top.
- Place the next cake on top of the other cake, then frost the entire cake. Use a frosting smoother for the best looking frosting job.
- Using your hand, press the sprinkles of your choosing up around the edge from the bottom up.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!