This vegan strawberry ice cream contains no bananas, no coconut and it is so creamy and delicious you’d never know its dairy free.
When I had to eliminate dairy from my diet the first thing I knew I’d miss was ice cream. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve always loved ice cream.
Ice cream was the antidote to scraped knees.
It was something my Grandmother gave us when we slept over (always topped with sprinkles).
It soothed bad days and broken hearts.
Since going dairy-free I have been playing with ice cream recipes. My first foray into dairy free ice cream was my Bounty Ice Cream Cake. It’s perhaps still my favorite. However, this vegan strawberry ice cream comes a close second.
While a lot of vegan ice cream recipes use coconut cream or milk or frozen bananas this recipe is made from blended cashews with a little cocoa butter to add the lovely fatty creaminess you expect from a good ice cream.
But the star of the show in this vegan strawberry ice cream is the fresh strawberries.
Fresh summer berries are at their best at the moment here in Florida, and the berries I picked up at my local farmers market are no exception.
Bright red all the way through and wonderfully sweet, it is difficult not to eat them as they are.
But what is even better is a scoop of this vegan strawberry ice cream with a side of sliced strawberries
More Ice Cream Recipes
If you love this strawberry ice cream, be sure to check out these other delicious homemade ice cream recipes:
- Caramelized White Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Magic Shell
- Plum Earl Grey Ice Cream
Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- Melt the cocoa butter. You can either do this in the microwave in 20-second bursts, stirring in between. Otherwise use the double boiler method. Set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. When smooth remove the spout from the blender and slowly pour in the cocoa butter. When all the cocoa butter added put the spout back and blend for a further minute. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and refrigerate until completely cold.
- Turn on your ice cream maker and pour in the chilled strawberry mixture. Churn until the mixture thickens – this will take about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze till it firms. Enjoy!